FRIDAY 2nd OCTOBER 2020
I think it is very safe to say that every child loves a birthday celebration and we had a very special birthday to celebrate serving the community for 25 years!
That is exactly what we did on Friday 2nd October starting from when the children arrived at school……
- A team of face painters got to work early and created beautiful art on all the children’s faces.
- The décor team was busy designing and converting ordinary tables and chairs into items of beauty and elegance.
- The aroma’s from the kitchen proved our cooking team was on track and that our lunch was going to be deeelicious.
- Our volunteer chief cake baker, Auntie Melissa, made 6 cakes, 1 for each class and iced in the colour of the class: green, blue, red and 3 x yellow.
- The staff were treated to cupcakes and this was displayed to make the number 25
- Each class presented 2 items, either a song, or a prayer or a poem and then performed the Jerusalema dance.
Our dance choreographer, volunteer Ms Christie, had done a sterling job with all the classes who were clearly enjoying doing their moves.
- The staff performance with everyone wearing their cobalt blue shirts looked stunning.
If you interviewed each staff member, I have no doubt they would say with confidence and conviction. “It was a morning of fun, laughter, celebration and joy.”
This was a special day in more ways than just a birthday celebration.
The weather was gloomy and predicted to rain quite heavily.
I kept checking the forecast and it didn’t change – RAIN PREDICTED FOR FRIDAY 2nd October from 06h00 onwards!
At 03h00 I was praying and asking God to keep the rain away just until we finished our party.
The entire morning remained dry, we were ALL able to present our items, including the Jerusalema dance, enjoy a delicious lunch and fellowship, tidy up and pack away before the rain came down at 13h30.
That was our Makabongwe Miracle gift for our birthday.
Our founder member Liz Ross joined us with some friends, as well as committee members, family and the press.
Sunday Tribune posted an article on the 4th October and Berea Mail on Friday 9th October.
We were very happy to welcome them and share our celebration.
The pictures tell the best story even without words or sound.
HAPPY 25th BIRTHDAY MAKABONGWE
Here’s to the next 25 years, uplifting and educating the children of the inner city of Durban